Saturday, November 26, 2005

Why Race Doesn't Affect Schooling

It seems that every liberal politician has this brilliant plan for education right now. All of them are about the same, it involves making sure that all children have an equal education. Yet, their method is political correctness. They believe that minorities and the poor don’t have a good chance at education. So they want to pour money at the problem. Brilliant.

First off, if you want to learn, you can learn. There are libraries all over the place, and if you live in the county, you can get free membership. What is to stop a kid from walking to the library? And you have to have the right attitude. I can tell you why certain people succeed in school and why some don’t.

Race has no effect on academics. If you think otherwise, show me a balanced study which proves your point. I can’t find one. Here, I can also prove minorities don’t get a poor education. Look at the Asians. They regularly work wonders on the SAT, and many are honor students. Why? Their culture. I may not be a cultural expert, but from what I have seen from most Asian cultures, they are expected to do this well. They feel shame when they don't perform as well as they should have. It’s not an insult to them to be nerds; it is an insult to be stupid.

Now, let’s look at the beliefs of most low-achievers I have known. They think that homework is stupid, and they don’t do it. They refuse to study, since they have better things to do. They can’t get As, or else they’re a nerd. If they don’t want to learn, you can’t make them. Attitude is the most important thing if you want to learn. Culture plays a large part of this.

I have looked briefly at a culture where it is expected to be a good student. Now let’s look at something that seems to trouble politically correct politicians. Why such racism against blacks in schools? The SAT obviously discriminates against them. No, I have found another reason. Rap seems to be a horrible influence. Most rap seems to be about killing cops, doing drugs, and many other illegal activities. Thugs like 50 Cent are considered to be “heroes”. Rap is mostly a black thing. I see a connection here. Do you?

In poor communities, it is possible that they are not getting a good education because their schools are not capable of providing a decent education. I recognize this, but throwing money at the problem won’t solve it. There is a reason the school isn’t doing as well as it should. This must be investigated by a committee that actually knows what they’re doing, and will work hard to get it done.

I have tried my best to show race does not affect schooling. We are all human beings, no matter what color our skin is, where we are from, or what our religion is. We all can learn if we want to. Just because I’m white doesn’t mean that I am automatically going to do better in school than all the poor people and minorities. If I want to be the best, I have to work to be the best. Most students who do poorly don’t want to be at school in the first place. We cannot brainwash them into wanting to succeed, they have to learn for themselves what it’s like to flip burgers for a living.

If I’m forgetting something, please remind me. I believe I managed to get most of the points, although there are probably many more. Or, perhaps you think race does play a role in schools, and then I can prove you wrong.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Simontis said...

I have been informed of one major issue I forgot that affects schools. Teacher unions. Incompetent teachers can't be fired, and combined with maximum class sizes, you have disaster. Since you can have fewer students per class, you must hire unqualified teachers to meet the state law. So you end up with lots of incompetent teachers who get to keep their jobs. I am sure that if I probed around a little, I could find at least twenty reasons teacher unions are bad for education.

11/30/2005 08:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a study that says race pretty strongly influences academic achievement.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/27736090

5/05/2013 09:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home